November 29, 2010

Gifts From My Father

It's strong,
made of hard metal
that was curved


and welded
by the strong hands
of a knowledgeable man.


It holds my heaviest summer flowers in hanging pots,
and my delicate humming bird feeder in the spring and fall.


It stands, securely thrust into the earth.
And, every time I glance out my kitchen window I see it, and I am reminded of my dad.
He made it for me.

One day, while visiting my parents,
I commented on how neat my mom's double hooked hanging plant holder looked. 
My mom replied that my dad had made it for her. 
My dad heard us. 
He asked me if I wanted one, too, because that's the kind of dad he is. 
"Yeah, that would be nice," I answered. 
I thought it would take months or more until he made it. 
My dad works long hours at a strenuous job, and 
I didn't think there would be much time for him to make me one. 
Several weeks later, my parents visited,
and my dad gave me
my own shepherd's hook hanger. 
He took the time to lovingly craft it for me, his daughter. 
It was a gift of his time,
his talent,
and
his love for me.

How blessed I am to have a Dad who gives of himself.
How blessed I am to have a Dad who displays fatherly traits that point to our Heavenly Father.

"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father..." 
James 1:17 (NASB)

Every gift our Heavenly Father has lovingly crafted for me
giving His time,
displaying His talent,
and
showing His love for me.

I can not thank Him enough for all the blessings He has given me!

Throughout November, I have been adding daily to a list in my side bar as I participated in the Giving Thanks Challenge hosted by Leah of South Breeze Farm.  I am so very grateful to her for this 30 day challenge that started a more conscience effort in my life to be grateful.  However, it ends tomorrow, and I don't want to stop cultivating my thankful spirit.  I want to continue.  I need to continue.   Therefore, today, I am joining the Gratitude Community at A Holy Experience.  It is a place for expressing our gratitude to our Father for His gifts.







holy experience



Since the list I have compiled in my side bar contains what I would start any thankful list with, I have included these items as numbers 1 to 30.  I have added new items starting with number 31.

The first 30 ~
My Savior
My husband
My four children
A loving family
True friends
Our church family
Sound Biblical teaching
The church worldwide
We are all unique
Grace
Unity
Laughter
Smiles
Kindness of Others
Forgiveness
Joy
Lessons Learned
Early morning prayer time with my husband
Anticipation
Excitement
Good memories
God's timing
Homeschooling
Strengthened faith
Getting together with family and friends
Peace in times of turmoil
Quiet times
Teachers and mentors
Freedom to worship
Encouragement

Starting today....

31.  Music -  This is a huge one for me!  Possibly because I am married to a musician (drummer - not professional, but for ministry).  I love to play music of all kinds.  From praise music, classical, contemporary Christian, gospel, rock and roll, country, old hymns.  I just love music.  My heart sings when I hear a song of beauty and joy.  During Christmas time, I turn to Christmas carols (old and new). 

32.  Drums - how could I not list this?  The sounds and rhythms of different drums fill our home daily.  My husband has a regular rock and roll type kit that he keeps in the garage, and several drums from different countries throughout the world in our family room.  The children have an electric set they are learning to play in the back room (our school room).  Each drum and drummer has an awesome, but different tune and sound.  They are beautiful to my ears.

33.  Dancing - in joy and celebration.  My daughters and youngest son love to dance about the room in joy and praise.  It is beautiful to watch them move in time to the music.

34.  Growth - physically for my children.  My oldest son has finally reached 5', a personal milestone of his.  Now, I believe he has set his sights on the 6' mark.  He will probably reach it as he comes from a family of some tall men (my side - my brother and grandfather)

35.  Growth - spiritually for my entire family.  As I look back over the year, I see how we have grown closer to the Lord.  May our lives continue to shine for Him, and may they shine even more brightly for Him in the times to come.

36.  Discernment - I cannot say I am always blessed with knowledge and wisdom of all things, but I can say that there have been times that I know the Lord has given me discernment in choices where I so needed His wisdom.

37.  Love - especially when I think I am unlovable.  Love from my Lord, love from my husband, love from my children, and love from my family and friends, for this love I give thanks.

38.  Hope for the future - I have a hope for my future that comes from my Savior!  He knows the plans He has for me.

39.  Shooting at targets with my Dad and older children - surprised?  I grew up in the country, and I have always loved shooting guns or bow and arrows.  I cannot express how much fun it is, and how grateful I am for the opportunity to do so occasionally.

40.  Wide open spaces - you did read I grew up in the country, right?  Now, we live in a suburban area, and must drive to those wide open spaces.  Someday, we hope to live in a more country area, but for now we are right where God has placed us.

41.  Being outside - in those wide open spaces!

42.  Football games with my family - both watching and playing.

43.  Children who help each other learn and accomplish things together.  My older son showed my youngest son how to spread peanut butter on a slice of bread.  Afterward, my youngest son did not need any help licking the utensil!

44.  Daughters who are excited to learn how to cook and bake, and they often help me in the kitchen.

45.  Our home - Over 5 years ago, the Lord led us to this home in ways that only He could orchestrate.  It is a testimony for another time.

46.   Libraries - I love (LOVE) books, and since we cannot afford to own every single book...the library is a huge blessing!

47.  Reading my Bible - I am reading straight through using the Bible in 90 days schedule as a rough guide to daily time spent in God's Word.  I haven't posted much about it, but I am having an incredible time learning from God's Word.  Currently, I have read through Malachi.

48.  Walking with my family.

49.  Playing air hockey and ping pong with my family.  Although, I must confess that I can get a bit competitive.

50.  People who read all the way to the bottom of this list!

To be continued...

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious how much time you are devoting to Bible reading each day. It seems that it would be a couple of hours! Wow!

    I have also enjoyed shooting at a target or two...but it's been about fifteen or more years.

    At what age did you begin to have the girls cook with you on the stove? At this point, I just let M help me by dumping, stirring, and such for baking...not for stovetop.

    We really do have so much to be thankful for...and yes, I really did enjoy reading about your dad, wide open spaces (there are lots available in our neighborhood!), and the joy you have in being daughter to your parents and God, wife, mom, and teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all the way through to the bottom . . . and was blessed with the things you wrote! :)

    Reading the Bible thru in 90 days! THAT is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read to the bottom of the list! Good for you girl!

    Welcome to the Gratitude Community. As you found through your 30 day experience, it's just not something to stop. It's addictive!! And so it should be.
    We serve a very good and loving Lord. Let us continue to list just some of the ways He blesses us each week!

    Blessings,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. #32 makes me smile! I am the mom of a very talented drummer and he has taught me to love percussion's song too! Heaven is going to be loud!! How could we not list this indeed!
    #40 You sound like my kind of girl, and I can so relate with coming from wide open spaces and feeling confined, if trusting God's placement, in the suburbs--I'm so there with you!
    #50 I'm feeling very blessed by your list!
    Glad to have found you Dorie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ladies, for your kind words and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...