January 25, 2012

Throwing Stones

But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 
Early in the morning He came again into the temple,
and all the people were coming to Him;
and He sat down and began to teach them.


The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery,
and having set her in the center of the court, they said to Him,
"Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. 
Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women;
what then do You say?"


...But when they persisted in asking Him,
He straightened up, and said to them,
"He who is without sin among you,
let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.
John 8:1-5; 7-8


The other day on a nature walk, the children and I went to a pond.  It was partially covered in ice, and they discovered the neat sound of rocks bouncing off ice {somewhat similar to birds calling}.  After getting home, uploading the photographs, and viewing my daughter's hand, dirt covered, holding a stone, I thought of the passage above.

Today, I am pondering these words, the Pharisees judgement and attempt to 'corner' Jesus, and the words and actions of Jesus.  I have to wonder how my thoughts and actions line up: 
Am I judging others harshly?  Do I offer grace and mercy, or do I condemn?
Do I pick up a stone, ready to throw, when my hand is covered in dirt as well?
~ Dorie

Linked to Word-Filled Wednesday at Internet Cafe Devotions

5 comments:

  1. I often think of this story when I find myself judging other people - and realize that it's not my place to judge! I am here to shine His light, instead of throwing rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Aurie. It is humbling for me to realize when I have wrongly tried to judge another - it is definitely not my job!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a great illustration. I love your photo's. Thanks for sharing this. You made me think.
    Yes we need to share the light instead of throwing stones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reminder to check out hearts. Wonderful photos ... Have a wonderful day.

    http://theemptynestexpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...