February 12, 2011

Making Plans

"There it is!"  I triumphantly wave my paper in the air as he enters the kitchen.
"There's what?" he asks.
I am bursting with excitement, ready to share, to explain, to tell him.
"The grid!"  I almost shout.
Raising an eye brow, he questions, "The grid?"  He smiles, waiting patiently for my explanation.


"Yes, let me introduce you to what I call The Grid."  We've been married long enough for him to know I like to give everything a name whether it needs one or not.  I am still explaining as I point out the names of our four precious blessings, then run my finger down the far left column, "...and every subject."  His eyes trace over the paper.  I conclude my tour with an exuberant voice, "And here in the middle you will eventually find all the curriculum for next year!"

I pause. 

Quietly, I add,
"Possibly."

He starts to laugh, and I heartily join him, knowing the reality. 



In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9


Next year will be our seventh year of homeschooling.  Seven seasons of planning, searching for the 'best' curriculum, method, books, and prices for each child's education.  These seasons of planning quickly slip into seasons of implementing, modifying plans, fine-tuning approaches, and sometimes altering plans completely.


Many are the plans in a man’s heart,
but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21


We stop laughing.
There is a twinkle in his eyes as he smiles and tells me,
"I like how you added possibly."



-----------------------
At the beginning of this current school year, I typed and printed both of these verses to place on the front cover of my main planner as a reminder to me.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Dorie! I love reading your homeschooling posts! I am trying to decide if I can homeschool my girls, and your posts are so grounded and realistic. It's such a blessing for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post remembered me of a sermon I heard not to long ago http://www.marshillchurch.org/v/tyqj5qyzvo94 it's about planning, I'm sure you would like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't those verses of Scripture so important for all of us to remember, but esp when we do need to plan, like homeschooling...but remember it's not up to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, friend!! I am posting these verses on my homeschool planner, ASAP! ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You can do it!! We're about to start our first year of homeschooling, I'm trying to get a "grid" together too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm popping over from Gather Inspirit and smiling wide reading this. We are about to embark on our first year of homeschooling- our kids have been in school up to this point. The post I linked up with was titled Curricula Fun and described the choices we think we have made for next year. It made me smile to see that 7 years into it, having fun with homeschool planning is possible :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...