March 13, 2011

Understanding ~ Praying a Proverb

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding
but delights in airing his own opinions. 
~ Proverbs 18:2

...understanding requires listening...


He who answers before listening –
that is his folly and his shame.
Proverbs 18:13


...listening to more than one side...


The first to present his case seems right,
till another comes forward and questions him.
Proverbs 18:17




Questions I ponder as I read these words of wisdom...
  • Am I too quick to air my own thoughts and opinions without truly understanding the situation or persons involved? 
  • Do I discipline my children without taking the time to truly understand their hearts and the situation?  
  • Do the people in my life feel like I am a good listener or talker? 
  • Am I able to really hear and understand another's point of view?


Dear Lord,
From You, comes all wisdom and truth.
You alone know all things and understand. 
There are times, when I am quick to judge
or voice an opinion despite my limited understanding. 
Please restrain my words at these times, 
and help me to really listen and understand as best as I can. 
May I be acutely aware that each situation has more than one side,
and only You know the overall, complete picture. 
Amen


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...