October 1, 2012

Adventures in Odyssey: 90 Devotions for Kids - A Review

90 Devotions for Kids (Adventures in Odyssey)My plans don't always go just the way I think they will.  When the new school year started, I decided I was way too busy reading books, planning lessons, and teaching our children to read and review extra books.  Then, I got an email about Adventures in Odyssey: 90 Devotions for Kids.  I didn't have to think too long to say yes.  For you see, even though we all like Adventures in Odyssey, my nine year old daughter LOVES Adventures in Odyssey.  She listens to the stories over and over again.  I knew this devotional would be one she would want.

When the book came in the mail, she immediately began asking for it.  I considered letting her do the entire review, but she is very biased.  Therefore, I had to confiscate the book to complete this review.  {For the record, I have had it for a month...much to someone's displeasure.}

If you and your family have ever listened to Adventures in Odyssey, then you will be familiar with Mr. Whittaker, Connie, Eugene, and Wooton, characters from the series.  They appear throughout the devotions with interesting tidbits and helpful suggestions.  Each devo mentions a particular episode within the main text.  However, even if you or your children are not familiar with the episode of AIO, enough information is given for you to understand the example and how it relates to that day's point.   

The entire devotional is separated into thirteen themes, including Exercising FaithWitnessing, and Worship .  I appreciated the scope of the themes and the inclusion of some not-so-typical themes for a child's devotional.  Themes begin with a short introduction and printed prayer.  Then, each theme is covered in one week's worth of devos.  A fun puzzle reviewing the theme's information is included at the end of each theme week.

Individual daily devos are not dated or delegated to a particular day.  This makes the devotional adaptable to any schedule.  Devos are only two sides of a page long, and include a daily verse, text explaining key concepts and giving illustrations related to the theme, a message from one of the AIO characters, a daily challenge (action for child to do), and the weekly memory verse.  The length and organization make it easy for a child to complete the devo on their own.

Daily, your child is challenged to get into God's Word, read it, and apply it.  A Bible is needed to complete each devo.  This is something that I particularly liked.  The devo lists the daily Bible verses, but the child has to look them up to know what they say.  Memory verses are included within the text of the devo.

Overall, I am greatly pleased with this devotional.  I am confident my daughter will use it and grow in her walk as she does.


And, now with the completion of this review, I have just one more thing to say..."Yes, Honey, you may have the book all to yourself."
~ Dorie


I received a copy of this book from the publisher, in exchange for this review.

1 comment:

  1. OH!! How fun that you had the opportunity to review something just for your 9yo! I like when we find something along those same lines...something we know we'll love bc of an author or theme...

    Sometimes it's just hard to say not to a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...