August 8, 2012

Teach Them to Work

-{our youngest set the table for dinner}-


"Go to the ant, O sluggard;
consider her ways, and be wise.
Without having any chief,
officer, or ruler,
she prepares her bread in summer
and gathers her food in harvest.





How long will you lie there, O sluggard?
When will you arise from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest,
and poverty will come upon you like a robber,
and want like an armed man."



-{carting stone in sand buckets and a wagon, the girls had the wheel barrow}-


Teach them to work.
It won't be perfect.

They will probably 'get in the way,' and
their efforts to help may just make a chore or project last longer.

Their work probably won't pass the white glove test.
They may even create a bigger mess than what they are cleaning up,
but they will be learning.




In the end,
they will learn the value of working,
the joy in a job completed,
and the benefit of a hard day's work.



The shed my husband and our oldest son, at 12 years old, built.
The other children, all younger, helped.
~ Dorie


2 comments:

  1. so I am getting ready to pick your brain.... we are ready to homeschool....and I beleive in the work ethic you posted here....A great shed you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. It's so true - I often have to bite my tongue and stop myself from re-arranging to have things the way I want them, and instead praise my girls for helping!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...