January 12, 2012

The Value of Looking Up


"I can help the next customer," behind register number 2, her voice rang out.

Stepping up to her counter I laid the frames down.  "Do you receive our coupons?" she asks cheerfully.

"Yeah," I respond without looking up.  She scans the two frames while I search my purse for a card.

"Though I don't know why I didn't bring any."

We share a laugh.

"Because these are on sale anyway," gently, she offers me kindness.

"Yeah, we'll pretend it was that.  Not that I forgot."  Again, laughter shared. 

I haven't looked up.  Down, I hold my head as my mitten covered hands fumble through my purse.  Grabbing a knitted end with my teeth, I wrench a hand free.  Bare hand plunges down into open purse, and I finally grasp the card.  Over to the machine I swipe card, press buttons, and sign.  All the while, gazing downward.

Finally, card returned safely to my purse, and hand covered with mitten, I look up. 

Our eyes meet. 

We've shared a conversation and laughter, but it wasn't until our eyes met that I felt a human connection.  There was merriment, and there was warmth in her twinkling eyes.  She could have been my grandmother in age, but in that moment, she felt like a sister.
~ Dorie

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Dorie. I too often forget to actually look at the people around me. I needed that reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...