September 21, 2011

Which Son?




“But what do you think?  A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’  And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went.  The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go.  Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.”
Matthew 21:28-31a



As I read through these verses in Matthew, I cannot help but wonder which son I am more like.  Do I refuse the work the Lord gives me, only to eventually be overrun by regret that motivates action, or do I simply say, 'yes, Lord,' but never budge?  These are the verses and thoughts I ponder today as I go about my activities.

~ Dorie


Linked with Word Filled Wednesday at Internet Cafe Devotions

4 comments:

  1. These parables always trip me up - I have a hard time figuring out which is the "correct" answer - and some times I think none are!!

    I would like to be the one who says "yes!" and then goes and does it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good food for thought, Dorie. I also will ponder these words today.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I recently started thinking about "well known" verses and stories and REALLY thinking about them instead of glossing over. Love it!

    Come visit! http://morinhouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrr...I lost my really good first comment, 1st impressions are always the best and you were my 1st comment today. Let's see if I can capture my thoughts again.

    Blessings Dorie, Just as you are pondering which son today and considering checking out "gatekeeper" in Nehemiah (which may also be watchman), I was motivated by this to go and further read the story of the two sons in Matthew, to discover THE REST OF THE STORY...
    and if they were right with "the first".

    But all kidding aside, I'd truly rather be the one to say "yes" and "go", which I did when I came to MX years ago and now I'm wondering if perhaps I should have thought this out better and waited on God's perfect timing to be in His Will. We all would like to be in the center of His will.

    I live your grapes on the Vine for my October series of ABIDING... and I'm pondering them also: are they sweet or sour? are they for the table as they are or for the wine to be processed? Much to ponder here...

    ohh, your Water Lilies caught my attention too below! Along with your buttons for Operation Christmas and Compassion, both doing God's will and windows of opportunity for us. I was blessed to be on the receiving end of OC and now they have moved on to other needy areas. Thank you!

    May you enJoy a WORD filled week and thank you for the motivation and inspiration I found here today... because you visited me. Bless you,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...