June 9, 2011

A Time to Rest

We stroll through a woods littered with benches.  Each one an invitation to rest, to sit quietly alone, or to join another in conversation. 


A time for rest leading to restoration of the body, heart, and soul.

Visions of moments, perhaps hours, spent resting in these beautiful spots fill my head.


Days later, I gaze upon a new month.  June fresh, clean to write upon. 
Words jot down appointments and plans.  We'll go, go, and go. 

Not one plan saying 'rest' appears.  Margins of time are left unplanned. 
Will rest occur here and there? 


Or will routines of have and have to, the chores of life, crowd the blank spaces, squeezing out rest?  I gasp.  Thinking...lazy days of summer...an oxymoron in the making, akin to jumbo shrimp?


Though I do not strive to be lazy, regular periods of rest are beneficial.  Necessary for me.

Pondering needed rest, I remember after an intense time of ministry, and before another began,
Jesus urged the disciples to rest.  They needed the restoration that comes from rest.


Jesus said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while.”
Mark 6:31

In context: Mark 6 NASB



Wives and mothers need the restoration that comes from rest as well.  As the months of summer vacation progress, may my days include planned time of vital rest that I may be restored to better accomplish all the tasks before me.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Thanks for sharing. I think God is telling me to rest and take a break:)
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my friend! Something we should all strive for - to rest and BE in the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...