July 2, 2012

Mondays with My Old Pastor {A Review}

The title intrigued me when I first saw it: Mondays with My Old Pastor.  I wasn't sure what the book was really about and why anyone would be described as old, which didn't seem too politically correct.  Though the title seemed interesting, it was the subtitle of "Sometimes, all we need is a reminder from someone who has walked before us" that caused me to read the book description. This is what I read...

Book Description:

A totally burned-out young preacher reignites his faith and gathers wisdom for life while spending successive Mondays with an eighty-three-year-old pastor.

"Deep inside in some uncertain part of my soul persisted this strange exhaustion that was difficult to explain and hard to endure," writes pastor and author José Luis Navajo. Thinking of quitting the ministry, Navajo doesn't know where to turn until he begins meeting with a seasoned man of the cloth—his "old pastor"—who, through successive Monday visits, offers a legacy of wisdom in the form of 15 unique principles.

In lyrical prose, Navajo shares the personal anecdotes, fables, and deep spiritual insights offered by the old pastor and his wife. By turns funny, heartbreaking, and thought provoking, Mondays with My Old Pastor is a comfort to anyone who struggles in his or her walk with God. As readers follow Navajo's journey from desperation to rejuvenation, they will find themselves similarly transformed and inspired. This moving, beautifully written account is sure to reignite every soul's longing for renewal.

The book itself was phenomenal. I am not a pastor, nor am I a pastor's wife, but I found many principles of truth to live out in my life. The fifteen principles Navajo's old pastor shares with him are Biblically based words of wisdom and encouragement anyone can use.

Approximately, each chapter contains one lesson or principle. However, this is not a dry lecture type book. Instead, almost every chapter tells about Navajo visiting his pastor and their conversations. Readers will feel like a welcome guest privy to these private conversations and at the same time drinking in the knowledge and wisdom these two men share. 

Honestly, though the book is written by a pastor, and the counsel he receives is from his old pastor, the book is for all Christians.  Each one of us is on a unique journey.  Our lives are different, but these principles can be applied by anyone on their Christian journey.  It does not matter if you are a pastor, business man, mother, homemaker, student, or anything else, this book is for you.

On a side note: Most of the time when after I have reviewed a book, I give it away, share it with another, or donate it. This time, this book is a keeper.


~ Dorie

I did receive a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...