June 2, 2011

Silent Witnesses

Silently, it stood.  Rooted deep.  Able to withstand storm winds.  Noble, strong, reaching toward sky and clouds.


Years past, growth encircled it with widening girth and lengthening limbs.  A sight to behold.


Centuries past while it grew.
Kings came and went.  The King of Kings was birthed, walked the earth, died, and rose again.  Wars were fought, won and lost.  Continents 'discovered,' technology invented, and countries formed.


It kept growing.  Time marched forward, and yet it did not speak. 


It had no mouth to tell what happened since its seedling days.  For it was not meant to speak in words; its existence alone tells of the majesty of the Creator.  It speaks through long life, towering heights, immense trunk, and breath taking beauty.


Our existence alone tells of our amazing Creator. 
Yet, we were given a mouth to speak,
words to tell,
a message to deliver.



He said to them, “It is not for you to know times
or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. 
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you,
and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria,
and to the end of the earth.”
~ Jesus (Acts 1:7-8)



Dear Lord,
You are the Creator of all. 
You have fashioned each one of us,
and placed us in a specific time and place for Your glory.
My life is not my own. 
You have set before me a task, to be a witness for You.
In deed and word, my life should reflect Your beauty, grace, and mercy.
Many times, I fail to do so. 
Many times, my words or deeds are not for Your glory, but my own.
While clearly there is a time and place for silence,
may You grant me discernment that I will know 
when to speak and when to refrain.
And, at all times, silent or not, may my life
be a witness for You.
Amen




4 comments:

  1. Dorie - I needed to read that prayer this morning! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorie, those are amazing photos! I've always loved trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!

    Always wonderful to have the reminder that our lives are not our own.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...